As I try to finish packing and cram 6 months worth of clothes into one suitcase, I try to picture what the next few months of my life will entail...
On Friday, I'll be leaving for Orphanage Emmanuel in Guaimaca, Honduras and not returning until June. Orphanage Emmanuel started in 1989, with 5 kids and no electricity or running water. Now they have over 400 kids, a farm with fields, livestock, a greenhouse, a medical clinic, a dental clinic, schools, 6 kitchens that serve about 1,400 meals a day, a church, a volunteer house (where I'll be staying), male, female, and toddler dormitories, and more that I will see soon!
Unlike Japan and Italy, they recommend quite a few vaccinations and other precautions before going. Luckily I've already had my Hepatitis A and B shots, but I will be going today to get an updated Tetanus shot, as well as the Typhoid vaccination. I also gave in to taking preventative malaria medication after hearing that a friend from PC contracted malaria while studying in Ghana. My original plan was just to wear lots of bug spray, but I think I'd still be paranoid every time I saw a mosquito.
I'm so excited that God has led me to Emmanuel, and I'm even more excited to just be serving God and others while I'm there. I learned a lot in Japan about really appreciating life, from the food that comes from the earth, as well as the relationships that we form, worshiping with others, and spreading love. I've come to see, even more than I did before, what a privileged life I lead in the U.S. and to be thankful for everything that God has blessed me with. I know that Honduras will be full of many lessons, trials, and memories, and I'm looking forward to each of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment